Monday, June 24, 2013

Check out the Talks!

DrewDat, Luke, ME!

Those three sexy poets in the photo above are (from left) DreDat, Luke, and MEEE! This photo was taken at the TOP OF A MOUNTAIN!! Yup, that's how we Colorado Springs poets do it. We write with our heads in the clouds and unwind in them as well. This all started after a team meeting when Luke, the host of our bi-monthly poetry venue (HEAR, HERE!!) decided to go for a walk. For most people a walk is a leisurely stroll in the park, but according to Luke it is to get a good 15 minute hike away from anything man made and climb the nearest vertical behemoth. It felt good to climb and the view was breathtaking. So, here we are at the top of a mountain. Since space is infinitely expanding we were both on top of the world and under it which was all fine with me.

This Monday, my newest addiction is TEDtalks. I heard about TEDtalks from an old roommate of mine. Do you have a friend that is constantly suggesting things like movies, or tv shows, yet you are too stubborn to try them? Well, that's how it is when my buddy Calvin suggests things. So far he has suggested Ender's Game, Game of Thrones, TEDtalks, and various other shrines of badassitude which have always taken me FOREVER to pick up on. Anyhow, TEDtalks are a series of sub-20 minute presentations online in which the  world's leading authorities in their fields showcase current projects. They vary in topics from technology to social psychology, and even POETRY!!! 

This presentation of TEDtalks is from former US poet laureate, Billy Collins. It's exciting to see that even with all these wonders of technology there is still room to probe into the mind of a poet. What this says to me is that not only is poetry NOT dead, but there is and will always be a constant fascination with poets and various other photographers of the human experience. What fascinates me with these TEDtalks is the way that the presenters present their topics so eloquently. It's as these professionals are poets in their own sense. Kathryn Schulz specifically sounds like a slam poet herself!! CHECK IT OUT! Her presentation sounds like she's about to throw down at some final stage slam. There are some eloquent pieces of rhetoric and prose which seriously made me do a double check and make sure I was watching TEDtalks and not browsing a poetry set. If you have some free time check them out!!

I wish I had a lot more to say to help set up your week, but I'm behind on my Game of Thrones and I need to catch up. I'm on season 3 episode 4 and everyone keeps talking about a wedding...

1 comment:

  1. "Since space is infinitely expanding we were both on top of the world and under it which was all fine with me." Great "walk" we had for sure...

    ReplyDelete